Tuesday, August 16, 2011

My Views on Singapore's Judicial system

Hello everyone. Today I will be blogging about the current judicial system of Singapore. So basically, a judicial system is a law system where justice is used. To put it even more simply, it is basically how the judges in court rule and give out sentences. I feel that the current judicial system is rather acceptable, though other countries view Singapore's judicial system as too harsh and brutal, where even trafficking drugs result in a death sentence, and graffiti on public property is punishable by caning. However, I do not agree with their views on why such punishments are "too harsh" when these crimes itself are unacceptable in the first place. I will be elaborating further in this post.


Firstly, I would like to point out that only with such grave punishments meted out, the perpetrators of law will then think twice about committing crimes when he looks at the consequences of being caught red handed and sent to jail. Such punishments act as a form of deterrence to the people who want to commit crimes, like drug trafficking or vandalism. I feel that Singapore is a rather safe place to live in. Crime rates are comparatively low as compared to the other countries. Even when crimes are actually committed, they are minor crimes like vandalism which do not actually endanger human life while in other countries, there are serious
cases like kidnapping and murder incidents. The reason for this safety, in my opinion, are due to two factors, namely the fact that there is nowhere to escape to in attempt to avoid the arrest of the police, and that people are all afraid of the cruel sentences, especially the life imprisonment and death row. Hence, I would in fact agree that Singapore's judicial system is rather effective, even though there are objections to it due to the fact that these punishments are inhumane. However, I feel that once again, crimes like murder and kidnapping are inhumane in the first place. There is no need to show any mercy to these perpetrators of law.

Thus, back to the question whether I agree with the current judicial system. I still stand firm in my belief that this current system is effective. As long as people abide by the law and do their duty as a citizen and resident of the country, there would be no need for such harsh and so called "inhumane" punishments.

Any comments on this matter? Please respond!

No comments:

Post a Comment